Re: +cgroups-forbid-noprefix-if-mounting-more-than-just-cpuset-subsystem. patchadded to -mm tree

From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 20:04:27 EST

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:35:34 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 23:10:42 +0530
> Dhaval Giani <dhaval@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > libcgroup shouldn't be using the noprefix option. Its only intentded
> > > use is to allow the legacy "cpuset" filesystem type to be mounted and
> > > to see the same fileset as it had before the cgroups transition.
> > >

> > It does not. But if some user is using that option, we need to be in a
> > position to handle it.
> >
> > I am quite happy not supporting the noprefix option in the library if it
> > is fine.
> >

> fyi, the above discussion transitions akpm into the "confused" state.
> I'll keep the patch on hold until akpm transitions back out of that
> state.

Traffic control...

[What "noprefix" is]
- When "noprefix" is used, the name of file under cgroup is..
[Without noprefix] ... (dir)/subsysname.filename
[With noprefix] ... (dir)/filename

Then, cpuset's files will be
[Without noprefix] ... (dir)/cpuset.xxx
[With noprefix] ... (dir)/xxx

This is for _backward compatibility_.

[Problem]
cpustat subsys has "stat" file.
memory subsys has "stat" file.

So, these cannot be mounted at the same mount point with "noprefix".

Considering arbitrary subsys can be mounted at the same point, allowing "noprefix"
other than cpuset just makes user-land complex, and "noprefix" itself is
troublesome, it breaks naming rule for cgroup files.

Then, I vote for that this patch should go.

Thanks,
-Kame