Re: linux-next end of partition problems?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Jun 03 2009 - 00:03:24 EST

Luck, Tony wrote:
I noticed an odd message in the kernel log while booting
linux-next (tag: next-20090602[*])

attempt to access beyond end of device
sdb3: rw=0, want=31664120, limit=31664115

sdb3 is an ext3 filesystem mounted as /home

$ grep sdb3 /proc/partitions
8 19 15832057 sdb3

I think /proc/partitions in in KBytes ... so the block (512 Byte)
count for this partition is 2*15832057 = 31664114 ... so the
"limit" in the console log looks reasonable, and since the "want"
is a bigger number, it does seem that we are trying to access
beyond the device.

BUT ... I don't get this message when booting a kernel built
from Linus' tree.

What kind of controller/drive is this? Full dmesg output would be useful..