Re: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]

From: Michael S. Zick
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 13:28:46 EST

On Thu June 4 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Side note: is it more stable if you disable the VIA speedstep thing
> (whatever it's called (ok, google tells me it's called "TwinTurbo" and
> "Advanced PowerSaver")?

The e_powersave code.
Yes, I build test cases with and without - -
It was a fixed-speed kernel build that first hit the 4 hour up-time mark.
I just reposted that build today (the -09143lk).

> Features like that easily put a huge stress on power regulators etc, if
> they result in sudden changes in current draw. Underspecced capacitors
> etc can cause CPU "brown-outs", which in turn can easily cause total
> failure.

There is also a possible thermal issue with these machines - -
I doubt that VIA runs their qualification testing in bake ovens;
which is what NetBook cases amount too. ;)

Before the week's end - I am going to run a few of these test builds
with the machine in the freezer - a 20C decrease in ambient should
show if there is any thermal relationship with the problem.

I just need to run my lan into the freezer compartment - one of the
places in this house without a lan connection. ;)

For want of a documented JTAG port...

Mike