Re: Kernel 2.6.30rc7 limits IDE to UDMA33

From: Grozdan
Date: Sun Jun 07 2009 - 14:24:23 EST

2009/6/7 Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Grozdan wrote:
>>
>> 2009/6/6 Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> Thing is somehow the GTM detection isn't working now and it apparently
>>> was
>>> in 2.6.27.1. I'm not seeing any patches to pata_via or libata-acpi that
>>> seem
>>> like they would affect this offhand. Grozdan, would you be able to try
>>> git
>>> bisect to try to figure out what changed the behavior?
>>>
>>> CCing Tejun in case he has any ideas..
>>>

>> I've no idea how and where to do a git bisect so if someone is willing
>> to explain in simple steps, I can try...
>
> Linus's post on here is a pretty simple explanation:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/11753

Yes, it's clear to someone who's familiar with git but not to a noob
like me. Where do I run this git? After it's finished what to do next?
How many times do I have to compile kernels? Which kernels exactly?
After booting a "bad" kernel, what then? etc... From reading the
article, the guy has to compile 14!! times just to catch a problem
between kernel 2.6.21 and 2.6.22. I guess in my case I'll have to
compile a lot more than 14 times to catch something between kernel
2.6.27 and 2.6.30 and honestly I don't have time for this right now.
However, I did a diff between the pata_via driver of kernel 2.6.27 and
2.6.30 and there have been changes to it but I'm not sure if they
affect the cable detection...