Re: 2.6.30-rc8 does not boot

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 07:06:36 EST

2009/6/8 Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Michael Tokarev wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I just gave 2.6.30-rc a try, taken from Linus git, tag v2.6.29-rc8.
>> And this one does not want to boot on my test machine which is an
>> AMD X2-64 with AMD780G chipset. ÂNeither 64 nor 32bit kernel boots.
>> I even tried in kvm virtual machine, -- same effect. ÂIt freezes right
>> after displaying "Verifying BIOS data successful" message -- nothing
>> more is on the screen.
[...]
> PANIC: early exception 0e rip: 10:ffffffff802c9abd error 0 cr2 0

That seems to be a NULL dereference (0e = page fault, cr2 0 =
dereferenced address).

Try:
$ addr2line -e vmlinux -i ffffffff802c9abd

This should print the name of the function that crashed. If you enable
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO you can get the exact line number info too (but
remember to replace the ffffffff802c9abd with the new value if you
recompile and run it again).

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it