Re: [Bug #13319] Page allocation failures with b43 and p54usb

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 09:21:42 EST

Mel Gorman wrote:

We've encountered this before and the conclusion was that the current
adjustments for watermark calculations of high-order allocations is right,
or at least there is no better alternative. In other words, the page
allocator in this instance is behaving as expected. Do we want to
revisit that discussion as to whether the watermark calculations for
high-order allocation should change? I think we'll reach the same
conclusion or at least decide that allowing the order-1 atomic
allocation to succeed here would just postpone the problem.

It would not just postpone the problem, it would also
bring the system closer to a state where kswapd does
something about the order-1 free areas.

This might postpone the problem indefinately.

Currently the system fails early, without kswapd
kicking in and freeing new order-1 areas.

--
All rights reversed.