Re: SOCK_RAW does not receive broadcast (with VLAN unless PROMISC)

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Tue Jun 09 2009 - 06:59:25 EST

David Miller wrote:
From: Gil Beniamini <gil.beniamini@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 21:05:25 +0300

My application is using PF_PACKET and SOCK_RAW in order to receive all
Ethernet packets for the machine-unicast MAC plus all broadcast
packets (like ARP broadcast).

That worked OK with kernel 2.6.20 (Ubuntu 7.04 with or without VLAN).

Now with kernel 2.6.28 (Ubuntu 9.04) it works OK only without-VLAN,
but with VLAN the application receive only packets for the
machine-unicast MAC, but no broadcast (like ARP broadcast) packets,
only if I set the socket to PROMISC mode, I start receive also
broadcast packets.

Which driver are you using? Are you sniffing on the VLAN device
or on the underlying device?