Re: HTC Dream aka. t-mobile g1 support

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 07:48:46 EST

On Thu 2009-06-11 04:24:03, Brian Swetland wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Pavel Machek<pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, now I have a tree, and yes it compiles. (After some
> > "interesting" questions; perhaps defconfig should be updated?)
> >
> > Unfortunately, upon fastboot boot uImage, it hangs with black screen
> > and backlight on.
>
> You'll need to fastboot boot arch/arm/boot/zImage ramdisk.img

Aha, fastboot implies that ramdisk is optional.. apparently it is not.

> Extracting the ramdisk.img from the boot.img in the boot partition on
> an existing device is a pain. If you happen to have a cupcake
> userspace built from source that ramdisk.img should be suitable. If
> not, I'll try to dig up a suitable ramdisk image tomorrow -- it's just
> init, init.rc, and adb, but it is necessary to boot.

I tried using ramdisk.img from sdk:

root@amd:/data/l/android# ./fastboot boot
/data/l/linux-msm/arch/arm/boot/uImage
/data/l/android/sdk/platforms/android-1.5/images/ramdisk.img
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 1884160 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY
root@amd:/data/l/android# ls -al
/data/l/android/sdk/platforms/android-1.5/images/ramdisk.img
-rw-rw-rw- 1 pavel pavel 145785 May 15 03:13
/data/l/android/sdk/platforms/android-1.5/images/ramdisk.img

...no luck :-(.

> > I _think_ I got config right, most "interesting"
> > question was
> >
> > AMSS modem firmware version
> >  1. 6.2.10 (MSM_AMSS_VERSION_6210)
> >  2. 6.2.20 (MSM_AMSS_VERSION_6220)
> >> 3. 6.2.20 + New ADSP (MSM_AMSS_VERSION_6225)
> >  4. 6.3.50 (MSM_AMSS_VERSION_6350) (NEW)
> >
> > ...and I just selected "3" being default. No help available :-(. I
> > have cupcake installed, and I believe I installed radio update
> > required for cupcake. Can someone help? (And write Kconfig help text?
> > :-).
>
> This is correct. The shipping dream/sapphire devices are using AMSS
> 6.2.20+patches, which is option 3.
>
> I'll look over the Kconfig text and see what we can do here. The
> problem is that the baseband firmware (AMSS) changes some of the rpc
> interfaces incompatibly between versions, and different generations of
> the same hardware could be shipping with somewhat different baseband
> firmware. 6210 and 6220 are completely obsolete (never used in
> anything in production) and we should drop them to avoid confusion.

Or at least add (obsolete) to kconfig help or something.

> >> It's hard to have a single name since carriers tend to use different
> >> names in different markets.  We often start work on kernel support
> >> long before a product is announced, so we've been using the fish names
> >> to allow us to register board names with the ARM machine registry
> >> early on and not use bogus internal-only machine IDs.
> >
> > I know naming stuff is hard. But dream/g1/adp1 are both recognized by
> > outside people. I don't think "trout" has similar level of
> > recognition.
>
> Would better descriptions in Kconfig help here? That's a lot easier
> and less disruptive than renaming the machine types (and the userspace
> android world, for good or ill uses the machine name to identify the
> hardware version for some hardware specific configuration stuff at
> runtime).

Better Kconfig description would certainly be nice. Renaming
board-trout* to board-dream* would be also nice (and should be doable
without any intrusive changes...?)
Pavel