Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: Martin Bligh
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 14:24:36 EST

>> So what point is there in keeping it in-tree except making life hell for
>> packagers?
>
> Give it up. Packagers can trivially generate their own sub-packages. They
> do it all the time. They already do it for the user-mode header files,
> extracted from the kernel - something you've worked on yourself.
>
> So your point is clearly bogus, and dishonest.
>
> You haven't actually looked the real problem in the eye, and acknowledged
> the disaster that is oprofile. Let's give a _new_ approach a chance, and
> see if we can avoid the mistakes of yesteryear this time.

We actually ended up coming to the same conclusion as you for some of the
internal tools we use that are tightly tied to the kernel. There is one hitch,
which is that if you boot between different kernel versions, you need multiple
userspace versions of the tools, so you may need to put them in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version> or something equivalent, not one fixed place.

M.