Re: [GIT PULL] Performance Counters for Linux

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 15:50:29 EST

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, David Newall wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > To take the oprofile example that decided it for me: the code to actually
> > support new processors was all done by basically kernel developers. And it
> > didn't hit user land for almost a year, because the user-land tools didn't
> > take the patch and propagate it up.
>
> Bad developer, Spot, you only did half the job. Not sure there's much
> more one can say.

Umm. The kernel developer _did_ do the job. The patch to the user land
side was available for that whole year. It just didn't get merged, and
then didn't get merged some more, and then got merged but only in a SVN
tree, not a release, and then finally when I did a bugzilla request to
fedora, they took the patch and put it in their distro.

Anyway, it's clearly not worth discussing this with you. I've tried. I
give up. Happily, I don't _need_ to convince you.

Linus