Re: slab: setup allocators earlier in the boot sequence

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 05:07:49 EST

Hi Ben,

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 18:53 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Yes, you're obviously right. I overlooked the fact that arch code have
> > their own special slab_is_available() heuristics (yikes!).
> >
> > But are you happy with the two patches I posted so I can push them to
> > Linus?
>
> I won't be able to test them until tomorrow. However, I think the first
> one becomes unnecessary with the second one applied (provided you didn't
> miss a case), no ?

OK, I am dropping the slub/slab patch from the queue for now. Here's
what I am going to push to Linus:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/penberg/slab-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=topic/slab/earlyboot

So I am sending the GFP_NOWAIT conversion for boot code even though you
didn't seem to like it (but didn't explicitly NAK) as it fixes problems
on x86.

Pekka