Re: slab: setup allocators earlier in the boot sequence

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 05:13:27 EST

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:49:31AM +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Benjamin
> Herrenschmidt<benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 11:04 +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> >> Hi Nick,

> >> So you want to push the local_irq_enable() to the page allocator too? We
> >> can certainly do that but I think we ought to wait for Andrew to merge
> >> Mel's patches to mainline first, OK?
> >
> > Doesn't my patch take care of all the cases in a much more simple way ?
>
> Nick, the patch Ben is talking about is here:
>
> http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/29700/

It's OK. I'd make it gfp_notsmellybits, and avoid the ~.
And read_mostly.

> The biggest problem with the patch is that the gfp_smellybits is wide
> open for abuse. Hmm.

Probably would be better to hide it in mm/ and then just
allow it to be modified with a couple of calls. OTOH if
it is only modified in a couple of places then maybe that's
overkill.

The whole problem comes about because we don't just restore
our previously saved flags here... I guess it probably adds
even more overhead to do that and make everything just work :(