Re: linux-next: origin tree build failure

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 05:43:34 EST

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 19:33 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> We should at least -try- to follow the
> process we've defined, don't you think ?

So you're saying -next should include whole new subsystems even though
its not clear they will be merged?

That'll invariably create the opposite case where a tree doesn't get
pulled and breaks bits due to its absence.

-next does a great job of sorting the existing subsystem trees, but I
don't think its Stephens job to decide if things will get merged.

Therefore when things are in limbo (there was no definite ACK from Linus
on perf counters) both inclusion and exclusion from -next can lead to
trouble.