Re: crypt issue with 2.6.30/gcc 4.4.0?

From: Udo van den Heuvel
Date: Sun Jun 14 2009 - 12:11:22 EST

On 2009-06-14 17:54, Milan Broz wrote:
>> With 2.6.30 I see the Password prompt being repeated, after all the USB
>> messages, as soon as I press the first letter of the password. Each time
>> the password is entered it is not accepted and a new Password: prompt is
>> printed up to a total of three tries.
>
> password prompt in Fedora is handled completely in userspace in initrd
> by plymouth, then it send password to cryptsetup.

Yes. I saw that in mkinitrd source...

> You did provide neither kernel log messages

The kernel is just booting up, messages scroll by fast, no strange stuff
appears as far as I can see.

> nor description of changes to
> your kernel config...

I got the 2.6.29.4 .config, copied it into 2.6.30 tree and added ext4 as
fs and nfs4 server support. Nothing much in the area of where the
problem is?

> Try run it in text mode with full kernel log,

How to retrieve the log?

> also try enable some debug mode in plymouth and check exact error message.

Will have look into possibilties there.

> (Are you using mkinitrd from F11? Also see fedora bug 470740)

Indeed. This looks very much like it, although I use a normal PS/2
keyboard and I'll have to count the asterisks.
Thanks for this tip!!

Udo