Re: [Patch BUGFIX] kcore: fix its wrong size on x86_64

From: TaoMa
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 10:10:46 EST

ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Tao Ma <tao.ma@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi Amerigo,

The wrong number I mean is 131941393240064.

So do you think
[root@test3 ~]# ls -l /proc/kcore
-r-------- 1 root root 131941393240064 Jun 15 13:39 /proc/kcore

is better than

[taoma@test2 ~]$ ll /proc/kcore
-r-------- 1 root root 281474974617600 Jun 15 15:20 /proc/kcore
?

I don't think so.

Actually the right result should look like

[root@test8 ~]# ls -l /proc/kcore
-r-------- 1 root root 5301604352 Jun 15 13:35 /proc/kcore

And with your patch I can't get this number.

Actually that value is the bug. It has absolutely nothing
to do with the offsets that are valid within /proc/kcore.

Why do you prefer the smaller number?
Amerigo said in the previous e-mail that " the man page for/proc/kcore is wrong, its size can be more than the physical memory size, because it also contains memory area of vmalloc(), vsyscall etc..."

I have 4G memory, and 5301604352 is just a bit larger than 4G and looks sane. So I misunderstand that this number is right.

But if it is also a bug, I am willing to test any of the new patch. ;)

Regards,
Tao