Re: [tip:perfcounters/core] perf_counter: x86: Fix call-chainsupport to use NMI-safe methods

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 15:40:00 EST

* Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > The gist of it is the replacement of iret with this open-coded
> > sequence:
> >
> > +#define NATIVE_INTERRUPT_RETURN_NMI_SAFE pushq %rax; \
> > + movq %rsp, %rax; \
> > + movq 24+8(%rax), %rsp; \
> > + pushq 0+8(%rax); \
> > + pushq 16+8(%rax); \
> > + movq (%rax), %rax; \
> > + popfq; \
> > + ret
>
> That's an odd way of writing it.

There were a few reasons (maybe not all good) for writing it like this :

- Saving I$ (as it is placed close to hot entry.S code paths)
- Staying localized with the top of stack, saving D$ accesses.

But maybe benchmarks will prove my approach overkill, dunno. Also we
have to be aware that the CPU might behave more slowly in the presence
of unbalanced int/iret, call/ret. I think we should benchmark your
approach to make sure jmp will not produce such slowdown. But it might
well be faster, and it's definitely clearer.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers