Re: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 17:33:49 EST

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:23 +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > I think the main problem isn't necessarily init code per se, but the
> > pile of -common- code that can be called both at init time and
> later.
>
> Just seems bogus argument. Everwhere else that does this (ie.
> allocations that are called from multiple allocation contexts)
> passes correct gfp flags down.

So you say we should create new variants of all these APIs that take gfp
flags as arguments just because they might be called early during boot :

- All the vmalloc interfaces (__get_vm_area() and it's 5 or 6 variants)
- Allocation of PCI host bridges data structures in the powerpc code
- Allocation of interrupt controller domains in the powerpc code
- Page table allocations (oops ... can't change that arch specific,
would have to be a generic change)
- ioremap (which call both __get_vm_area() and page table allocs)
- ...

Are you just insane ? :-)

Cheers,
Ben.