Re: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 00:46:19 EST

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:31:38AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:23 +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > > I think the main problem isn't necessarily init code per se, but the
> > > pile of -common- code that can be called both at init time and
> > later.
> >
> > Just seems bogus argument. Everwhere else that does this (ie.
> > allocations that are called from multiple allocation contexts)
> > passes correct gfp flags down.
>
> So you say we should create new variants of all these APIs that take gfp
> flags as arguments just because they might be called early during boot :

No, just create the ones that actually are called in early boot.

> - All the vmalloc interfaces (__get_vm_area() and it's 5 or 6 variants)
> - Allocation of PCI host bridges data structures in the powerpc code
> - Allocation of interrupt controller domains in the powerpc code
> - Page table allocations (oops ... can't change that arch specific,
> would have to be a generic change)

No it would not. If an arch (eg s390) does this in early boot, then
it can create its own allocation function which takes a gfp mask, and
define the generic one to just pass it a GFP_KERNEL. generic code does
not call this in early boot of course.

> - ioremap (which call both __get_vm_area() and page table allocs)
> - ...
>
> Are you just insane ? :-)

I think so, but that's besides the point ;)