Re: [patch] ipv4: don't warn about skb ack allocation failures

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 15:23:44 EST

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, David Miller wrote:

> > I disagree, page allocation failure messages show vital information about
> > the state of the VM so that we can find bugs and GFP_ATOMIC allocations
> > are the most common trigger for these diagnostic messages since
> > __GFP_WAIT allocations can trigger direct reclaim (and __GFP_FS
> > allocations can trigger the oom killer) to free memory and will retry the
> > allocation if ~__GFP_NORETRY.
>
> It's COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTELY normal for GFP_ATOMIC allocations to
> fail in the networking.

__GFP_NOWARN exists for that reason.

> If you warn it will just spam the logs, and on a router forwarding
> millions of packets per second are you sure that can ever be sane?

The spamming is ratelimited, but GFP_ATOMIC is really the only time we get
such diagnostic information since __GFP_WAIT allocations can reclaim,
__GFP_FS allocations can utilize the oom killer, and other order-0
allocations are implicitly ~__GFP_NORETRY.

As previously mentioned, GFP_ATOMIC allocations that are not __GFP_NOWARN
have been emitting these diagnostics since 2.5.53. This has been on your
TODO list for 6 1/2 years and now you insist all GFP_ATOMIC allocations
change their default behavior?

I understand what you're trying to avoid, but I disagree with the approach
of altering the default behavior of GFP_ATOMIC. I may suggest that
emitting the page allocation failures become a compile time option;
CONFIG_DEBUG_VM would be my suggestion.

> Use statistics and tracing if necessary, but log spam no way...

You need the meminfo that is emitted at the time of failure for it to be
useful.