Re: [RFC] Documentation: add documentation for rc-series and mergewindow

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009 - 18:19:36 EST

> >> +2.0.2: RC-SERIES RULES
> >> +
> >> +Rules on what kind of patches are accepted after the merge window closes.
> >> +These are patches targeted for the kernel rc-series of a kernel prior
> >> +to its release.
> >> +
> >> + - it must fix a reported regression
> >> + - it must fix a reported security hole
> >> + - it must fix a reported oops/kernel hang
> >
> > - it must fix a bug.
>
> Well that's for certain, but there is a difference between a general
> notion of a bug and the type of bug fixes that should go in during the
> rc-series. This documentation patch highlights the difference.

Yes, and I'm trying to tell you that this documentation patch is
wrong.

Non-intrusive bugfixes _are_ welcome after -rc1.

> > I do not think the 'reported' requirement is there in -rc,
>
> Well if its not reported how else would you find out about it during
> the rc-series? And if its something easily triggerable that should
> have been fixed earlier, not late in the rc-series.

'reported' means 'someone is hitting that bug' in that context. If you
do code inspection on drivers/foo/bar.c and find that it will hang on
may 13, 2017; then that's a bug but not "reported" one -- users are
not hitting it. Such bug may be uninteresting for -stable, but would
probably be ok for -rc.

> > and yes,
> > compile-fixes etc are welcome.
>
> Sure, but what are these doing so late in the rc-series?

Bugs happen :-).

> > Non-intrusive bugfixes too, afaict.
>
> It really depends on what you mean but generally no, and this is why I
> think this clarification is important.

I believe you are wrong.
Pavel