Re: Packet Overrun for traffic over 1 Gbps

From: Deepak Vishwakarma
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 05:55:14 EST

Hi,

I have a high end server machine(multi core and large memory space)
with 10 Gbps NIC. With linux kernel 2.6.18 it is giving packet overrun
as traffic goes beyond 1.5 Gbps. I need suggestions in tuning kernel
so that it can handle higher traffic rates.

I have a 10 Gbps test bed to test the capability of server, equipped
with 10Gig switch and traffic is generated from many 1Gig machines. I
have tested server machine by gradually increasing the incoming
traffic rate and it's starting to do packet overrun as it crosses 1
Gbps.

The 10 Gig NIC is from broadcom,  (netxtreme). I have tested NIC with
the driver shipped by vendor that is bnx2x v 1.44 and latest available
on net, both are giving more or less same result. Will it help to try
latest kernel 2.6.30 ? or what could be other possible tuning in
kernel to make it handle high traffic (3-4 Gbps).

Thanks and regards,
Deepak