Re: Fix for shared flat binary format in 2.6.30

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 14:46:56 EST

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Bernd Schmidt wrote:

> This fixes a crash in 2.6.30 with shared flat binaries. prepare_binfmt now
> requires a cred pointer to be set up, which isn't done in binfmt_flat.c.

This has so many bugs in patch submission that I literally almost gave up
despite it being a trivial patch.

Attachements, wrong separators between explanation, wrong patch format
(hint: use "-p1" or some sane patch system that gets things right
_without_ crap), you name it. Very irritating.

I'm generally not interested in cleaning up after people who can't bother
to try to make patches in the right format. If you can't bother to spend
the small amount of time to make sure the patch is properly formatted, why
should I bother to apply it?

It literally looks like you used SVN to generate that sh*t-for-brains
patch. If you have to use svn, at least learn to make it generate proper
patches.

(How? I don't know. Maybe "svn diff -p1" works? Why would _anybody_ ever
use SVN for the kernel anyway? The "S" stands for "Substandard").

I applied this patch, but I want to just vent my frustration with it.

Linus