Re: register_timer_hook use in arch/sh/oprofile

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 08:18:19 EST

* Paul Mundt <lethal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In practice oprofile has never been a good fit for these sorts of
> counters, so this has fairly limited use. If there's a way to
> wiggle these types of counters in to the new perf_counter API,
> then I'll convert that over and just kill the old oprofile driver
> off completely. Barring that, I'll just end up converting it over
> to hrtimers as well, so don't let that stop you from ripping out
> the timer hook bits.
>
> Most of this code predates hrtimers anyways, and it also predates
> the timer hook, which is only something that we converted to some
> years back.

Note, the current initial upstream SH support for perfcounters:

arch/sh/include/asm/perf_counter.h:#define set_perf_counter_pending() do { } while (0)
arch/sh/include/asm/unistd_32.h:#define __NR_perf_counter_open 336
arch/sh/include/asm/unistd_64.h:#define __NR_perf_counter_open 364
arch/sh/kernel/syscalls_32.S: .long sys_perf_counter_open
arch/sh/kernel/syscalls_64.S: .long sys_perf_counter_open

Should already give you hrtimers straight away.

To test it, could you try to run 'perf top' after:

cd tools/perf/
make install

It should display a hrtimer driven kernel profile already. You can
increase/decrease the frequency of sampling by using -F option - say
'perf top -F 10000' should sample at 10 KHz.

Please let me know if any of this does not work as expected.

Ingo