Ksplice updates for Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty

From: Jeff Arnold
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 05:52:12 EST

Hello,

The Ksplice team [1] is now providing rebootless kernel updates for Ubuntu
9.04 Jaunty to anyone who configures their machine to receive them [2].
In short, users can click a few buttons and start getting all of the
Ubuntu kernel security updates applied to their system without rebooting.
No initial kernel changes are needed.

[1] http://www.ksplice.com
[2] http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack

I first mentioned Ksplice to the LKML in April 2008 [3], and since then
we've submitted several rounds of Ksplice patches [4,5,6]. So far we've
gotten various improvements related to Ksplice merged into mainline.

[3] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/23/330
[4] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/13/6
[5] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/21/484
[6] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/5/330

Ksplice applies traditional source code patches to unmodified Linux
kernels. It can be used to apply all of the Linux security patches over
multiple years [7], and it can also apply reliability patches and other
bug fixes, such as from the Linux stable tree.

[7] http://www.ksplice.com/paper

- Jeff