Re: 2.6.29 regression: ATA bus errors on resume

From: Niel Lambrechts
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 02:33:24 EST

On 06/26/2009 02:46 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello, Niel.

Niel Lambrechts wrote:
I've recently switched my root partition from OpenSUSE 11.1 to Fedora 11
and since then I've not again seen the issue. I'm still using vanilla
2.6.30 generated with the same .config and EXT4 as before, so I have no
idea why I cannot reproduce the issue. I still use hibernate + sleep
frequently, and I just checked - I have 5 days uptime with a mount count
of 20 and the file-system is still clean.

The one big difference is that my original partition was a EXT2 -> EXT3
-> EXT4 upgrade job over a long period of time, and some of the EXT4
parameters now used by Fedora 11 on the reformatted root partition are
different from what I had then. Here is a summary of the differences in
case it matters at all:
<snip>
Eh... if my analysis is correct the bug will be dependent on some
non-deterministic things including timing and layout of blocks of the
file which the filesystem touchs during suspend/resume. I'm fairly
sure the problem is still there. Oh well, it seems I'll have to
construct a synthetic case to test it. Anyways, please let me know if
you encounter the problem again. I'll keep you in loop with further
patches.

Understood, what I mean to imply is that I might (at least temporarily) be shielded from the bug because reformatting the root partition could possibly have removed some fragmentation and improved the initial disk layout. With the previous partition layout there would also have been a mixture of extents and non-extents based files since that system was upgraded from EXT2 to EXT3 to EXT4.

I'll try to boot from 2.6.29 again as well, and put it through some suspend/resume cycles just in case that made any difference.

Regards,
Niel