Re: kmemleak suggestion (long message)

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 18:46:40 EST

On (06/26/09 17:12), Catalin Marinas wrote:
> I had a look at your patch and I tend to agree with Pekka. It really
> adds too much complexity for something that could be easily done in user
> space (could be more concise or even written in perl, awk, sed, python
> etc.):
>
> cat /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak | tr "\n" "#" \
> | sed -e "s/#unreferenced/\nunreferenced/g" \
> | grep -v "tty_ldisc_try_get" | tr "#" "\n"

Well, it's hardly can be compared with
echo "block=ADDRESS_FROM_STACK" > /.../kmemleak

Frankly, I still found it useful (as you don't have to write in perl, awk, sed, python etc
to see 50 lines (you are interested in) out of 1000.
You just watching reports.)

(well, maybe not as useful as with syslog.)

Anyway, the decision is yours. And let it be so.
Thanks.

> Thanks anyway.
>
> --
> Catalin