Re: svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 10:16:21 EST

On Jun 29, 2009, at 2:33 AM, db wrote:
I'm running arm 2.6.30 kernel and a 2.6.30 kernel on my desktop.

I see this "[1257016.190000] nfsd: last server has exited, flushing
export cache
[1257018.250000] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
."
On both ends. The arm is running debian lenny (armel). The desktop is
debian lenny (32bit i368). When this error i cannot continue to
transfer files.

Right at the moment I think this message is a coincidence. But let's chase it a little and see what we get.

First, you provided a couple of kernel log snippets here, but you didn't identify which snippet comes from your server, and which from your client. I assume the above one comes from your server, and the below comes from your client.

Do you happen to have IPv6 configured on your systems ("ifconfig - a")? What is the output of "rpcinfo" on your client and on your server? Are you running portmap or rpcbind on these systems?

Here is the config of the /etc/exports and what i try to use

"/media/nfs_shares/rsync/ *(rw,no_subtree_check)"
i mount on the desktop with

[root@desktop ]# mount 192.168.1.12:/media/Y/W/ /media/mount_point/ -o soft

"cat /proc/mounts" on your client so we can see exactly what mount options the kernel has chosen.

and i try using rsync like this (from my desktop).

rsync -av --progress /home/User_NAME/BACKUP/Y/W/X/ /media/ mount_point/W/X
and it just hangs. I then try to unmount it and i have problems doing
so. so i need to force the umount

"19051.391800] Performance counters on
[319051.391804] input device check on
[319051.391807] Actions configured
[399843.223405] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[399843.223413] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[399843.346956] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
[401465.708049] device eth1 left promiscuous mode
[401689.794716] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
[402224.640535] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
[402356.791524] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
[402702.197491] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).
"
I am only using nfs2. I am not using nfs4 / nfs3.

This issue is most troublesome as it breaks my use of nfs.

Have you captured a network trace? Start the trace before mounting the server. I usually use something like "sudo tethereal -w /tmp/raw" .