Re: Long lasting MM bug when swap is smaller than RAM

From: Attila Kinali
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 04:05:05 EST

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:36:15 -0600
Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/30/2009 03:58 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > There has been a bug back in the 2.4.17 days that is somehow
> > triggered by swap being smaller than RAM, which i thought had
> > been fixed long ago, reappeared on one of the machines i manage.
> >
> > <history>
>
> It's quite unlikely what you are seeing is at all related to that
> problem. The VM subsystem has been hugely changed since then.

That's why i thought this problem was fixed.

> You didn't post what the swap usage history before the upgrade was.

Because i don't have any hard data on this. I checked it by hand
from time to time and we never had more than a few MB of swap used.

> But
> swapping does not only occur if memory is running low. If disk usage is
> high then non-recently used data may be swapped out to make more room
> for disk caching.

Hmm..I didn't know this.. thanks!

> Also, by increasing memory from 2GB to 6GB on a 32-bit kernel, some
> memory pressure may actually be increased since many kernel data
> structures can only be in low memory (the bottom 896MB).

Interesting. But shouldnt memory be "swapped" to highmem first
before going out onto disk?

> The more that
> the system memory is increased the more the pressure on low memory can
> become. Using a 64-bit kernel avoids this problem.

Unfortunately, the CPU we have is still a pure 32bit CPU, so this option
cannot be used.

Attila Kinali