Re: [Patch 3/3] elf: use a macro instead of a raw number

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 05:37:03 EST

Roland McGrath wrote:
Use TASK_COMM_LEN instead of the raw number 16.

This is probably a bad idea. elf_prpsinfo layout is a userland ABI.
AFAIK there is no reason TASK_COMM_LEN could not be enlarged in the kernel.

Thanks for your reply.

But in the kernel code, pr_fname is copied from ->comm, they should
be equal, shouldn't they?

Hmm, yes, I agree that 16 is too small for ELF core dump, the longer
names get truncated and gdb will complain about this...

I can cook a patch to increase this length if you agree.

Thanks.