Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: tridge
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 21:59:50 EST

Hi Jan,

> The cam does not have a problem with long filenames,A $,1rt

That is curious. When you use a long filename (ie. a real long
filename, not a mixed case 8.3 name), if you ask the camera for
details on the photo, does it show the long filename you chose, or
does it show a 8.3 "mangled" name, like ABC~01.JPG.

> as said, it works on any to-date vanilla/distro Linux kernel,
> which, if I understood mount(8) right, always create a long
> filename due to me using a lowercase filename in conjunction with
> the default shortname=mixed.

I think you'll find it works as these kernels will be automatically
creating a "mangled" 2nd name in 8.3 format for each file with a long
name.

If you can actually see a true long filename like LongFilename.jpg on
the cameras LCD then it will warrant more investigation, and in that
case I'll try to get hold of the same model of camera and have a play
with it.

Cheers, Tridge