Re: [BUG] gcov causes vread_tsc to increment kernel memory

From: Peter Oberparleiter
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 04:18:09 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Peter Oberparleiter <oberpar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Also seeing as function tracer and gcov work on a similar basis and require similar files to be excluded from profiling, it would be nice if we wouldn't need to mark those files separately. [...]

One of the general things i pointed out during review is that there's a fair amount of overlap between tracing/instrumentation and the gcov support patches and now for a change Andrew has merged incomplete stuff upstream prematurely ;-)

Yes there is overlap between ftrace and gcov and I will help in finding
and merging those bits, but as I also pointed out during review, there
are also fundamental differences.

By including the gcov infrastructure upstream now, we can incrementally
improve its integration with any similar mechanism _while_ people are
improving their test cases and identifying more bugs based on code
coverage measurements.