Re: [Bug Fix]: Do 32-bit table calculations in pre-processor

From: Michael S. Zick
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 16:38:27 EST

On Fri July 3 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Michael S. Zick wrote:
> >
> > Good point: (1<<(32-PAGE_SIFT)) would handle other than 4k pages.
> >
> > I just hardcoded it as a working example of the change from setting
> > the page table size by design rather than numeric error.
> >

> As Jeremy pointed out, it's not wrong as written. gas by design uses
> arbitrary-precision arithmetic, and even if it didn't, it would still be
> correct: (1 << 32) would collapse to 0, so all the rest of the
> calculations would still be right.
>
> Any way you can dump out this value from the vmlinux file (nm vmlinux |
> grep MAPPING_BEYOND_END) in both cases?

Can't find it in either case, or with objdump.

(g)as reports itself as version 2.18

> What version of as/binutils do
> you have installed?
>
> > And yes, it has 512Mbyte of ram, so 1/2Mbyte page table sounds right to me.
>
> /proc/cpuinfo, please?

That takes a running machine - which is a bit of a challenge at the moment.
Well, for the past four months, if truth be told.

Anything in particular you are looking for?
I may have it in my notes and data captures.

Mike