Re: Memory leak in iwlwifi or false positive?

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 19:17:36 EST

Hi Reinette,

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 15:25 -0700, reinette chatre wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 14:32 -0700, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > pushed yet) it seems to no longer show so many random leaks. However, I
> > get a lot of leaks reported in the iwlwifi code, about 4800 and they do
> > not disappear from any subsequent memory scanning (as is usually the
> > case with false positives). There are a lot of kmalloc's of < 512 bytes
> > and /proc/slabinfo seems to be in line with this:
[...]
> Yes - this sounds about right. You tested with 5100 hardware which by
> default initializes 20 TX queues. For each of these queues it maintains
> a 256 buffer array of commands with 356 bytes used for each command.

With the latest kmemleak changes which I pushed to Linus they
disappeared. I missed the kmalloc_large in slub and probably some of the
root objects that keep references to others weren't scanned (maybe the
kzalloc call in wiphy_new was missed as it links to all the bulk of the
reported objects in the iwlwifi code).

Thanks.

--
Catalin