Re: Xeon 5500 series support in kernel

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Jul 05 2009 - 05:55:32 EST

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 08:01:44PM +0200, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> a general question with regard to the new intel nehalem platform:
>
> Which linux version is needed for an intel nehalem based xeon in view of the new intel 5500/5520 chipset drivers?
>
> Does it work with 2.6.18? (Debian Etch)

You would need backported drivers for Ethernet etc; the plain
integrated drivers in 2.6.18 will not work. The e1000 project
at sourceforge has driver backports for Ethernet.

I don't know if Debian does regular backports of drivers,
some other distributions with support for old kernels do.

Also some power saving features and performance features
which are related to power saving (turbo mode) will not work in that old a
kernel. For full performance it's better to use newer kernels or
kernels with appropiate backports.

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.