Re: [BUG] drivers/video/sis: deadlock introduced by "fbdev: addmutex for fb_mmap locking"

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 05 2009 - 10:20:35 EST

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Wu Zhangjin wrote:

> then it works! so, I guess there is a deadlock introduced by the above
> commit.

Hmm. Perhaps more likely, the 'mm_lock' mutex hasn't even been initialized
yet. We appear to have had that problem with matroxfb and sm501fb, and it
may be more common than that. See commit f50bf2b2.

That said, I do agree that the mm_lock seems to be causing more problems
than it actually fixes, and maybe we should revert it. Krzysztof?

Linus