Re: >10% performance degradation since 2.6.18

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 14:54:08 EST

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 11:48:47AM -0700, Ma, Chinang wrote:
> On the distributing interrupt load subject. Can we do the same thing with the IOC interrupts. We have 4 LSI 3801, The number of i/o interrupt is huge on 4 of the cpus. Is there a way to divide the IOC irq number so we can spread out the i/o interrupt to more cpu?

I think the LSI 3801 only has one interrupt per ioc, but they could
perhaps be better spread-out. Right now, they're delivering interrupts
to CPUs 2, 3, 4 and 5. Possibly spreading them out to CPUs 2, 6, 10
and 14 would help. Or maybe it would hurt ...

(nb: the ioc interrupts are similarly tied to CPUs 2, 3, 4 and 5 with
2.6.18, so this isn't a likely cause of/solution to the regression,
it may just be a path to better numbers).

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."