Re: [RFC] accessibility, speakup, speech synthesis & /sys

From: Samuel Thibault
Date: Wed Jul 08 2009 - 07:04:34 EST

Pavel Machek, le Wed 08 Jul 2009 11:35:16 +0200, a écrit :
> On Thu 2009-07-02 00:19:04, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Pavel Machek, le Tue 30 Jun 2009 08:34:54 +0200, a écrit :
> > > Please keep a11y and similar madness far from kernel.
> >
> > What do you qualify as "madness" precisely? Could you explain why you
> > are using such extreme word?
>
> If the word is so long that you have to write number of its letters
> inside... then you are using wrong word.

Unfortunately that's the word. If the very notion of accessibility was
realized by mankind earlier maybe we'd have had a shorter word for it.

> > > BTW... from 486+, cpus are fast enough for speech synthesis. Why not
> > > doing it in software, viewing hw synthetisers as 'flite coprocessors'?
> >
> > At least because flite is very far from proprietary hardware
> > synthesizers in terms of quality.
>
> Well... but for reading boot messages, it might be adequate, right?

I'd actually say it's particularly not adequate. Try to feed your dmesg
to a speech synthesizer and try to understand it.

> You know... "normal" consoles (such as vt) do fail sometimes, too.

Yes, and in such case sighted and blind users are on equal basis. In
that case there is no need for a particular support for blind people.

Samuel