Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: David Newall
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 16:57:23 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> If someone really wants a patch to corrupt their filesystems they know
> where to find it.

No need for pettiness. Andrew's already intimated that he's still
working the patch, and he's a very clever lad and knows if it corrupts
it needs more work.

What I don't understand is how anybody could be satisfied with the
status quo. We cannot leave vfat unchanged, for that will perpetuate a
pool of victims to be sued, and Linux loses credibility every time that
happens. Something *must* change.

What is especially attractive about Andrew's position (he said this more
eloquently than me) is that developing a solution to avoid the patent
will impact Microsoft revenues; and that will be most instructive to
them. That's almost sufficient reason by itself!