Re: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel

From: Douglas Niehaus
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 23:02:46 EST

Peter:
Perhaps you could expand on what you meant when you said:

Thing is, both BWI and PEP seems to work brilliantly on Uni-Processor
but SMP leaves things to be desired. Dhaval is currently working on a
PEP implementation that will migrate all the blocked tasks to the
owner's cpu, basically reducing it to the UP problem.

What is left to be desired with PEP on SMP? I am not saying it is perfect, as I can think of a few things I would like to improve or understand better, but I am curious what you have in mind.

Absent a clearer idea of what you had in mind, I can certainly discuss the tradeeoffs Noah and I have considered over time, and which we think motivates our approach.

When Noah and I have talked about this topic over the quite extended time, several years, we have been working on it, there have always seemed two choices:

1) Move the proxy (the resource owner) to the CPU with the blocked task
2) Move the "scheduling profile" of the blocked task to the CPU where the proxy is.

For Proxy Execution under Group Scheduling we have considered both over time. Consider the situation where thread A on CPU0 is blocked on a resource held by thread B on CPU1. When we considered (1), it has the advantage of ensuring that B will run on CPU0, unblocking A, if A (or B) is still the best choice at the time it has been successfully moved from CPU1 -> CPU0. That might not be true after the delay of moving the process.

We decided to emphasize (2) because it was more interesting in our view because it was cheaper and seemed no more complicated although its complications are different than (1). Its complication is, of course, that while we have worked out how to add the "avatar" of A to the set considered by the GS hierarchy on CPU1, it depends on the scheduling semantics as configured whether the avatar of A is chosen as "best" and thus how long it will be until B runs long enough to release the resource and unblock A on CPU1.

We have always viewed that as complicated, but appropriately so to the problem. It depends inherently on the semantics of threads A, B, and all other threads on CPU1 that are ready to run, among whom the "best" is chosen by the GS hierarchy. We think it is inherently the problem of the scheduling configuration to take this trade-off into account.

We have also thought being able to do both (1) and (2) is best, but which is best to use in a given situation depends on the comparative cost of (X) running B on CPU1 long enough to unblock A and (Y) the cost of moving B from CPU1->CPU0 to run long enough to unblock A, and then move it back from CPU0->CPU1 since its designed CPU assigned is on CPU1. Our decision after many hours of discussion over many months has been that the cost of (X) seems a lot more attractive than (Y).

Part of our preference is that we are still working with semaphores as resources. Since most critical sections are supposed to be "short", then scheduling semantics taking the proxy execution periods into account on the "foreign" CPUs would actually be easier/better than the double thread movement.

Both problems seem quite hard and I do not think I have yet "completely figured it out". While the "mass migration" you say Dhaval is working on would "reduce" the problem to the UP case, I think it would create more complexity for analysis than it eliminates. A form of thrashing seems a real danger. In this case, that threads would be moving from CPU to CPU so much it would be a real drain on resources and constraint on system performance. However, Dhaval my well understand the cost implications of thread migration better than I do.

The real core of the problem, it seems to me, is that the proxy relationship among threads depends on what resources can be held by them. I think that problem is "relatively easy" in the set of locks associated with a multi-threaded application.

When the resources causing blocking can be *any* lock in the kernel associated with *any* system service that might be used by *any* thread is is complicated enough to make my brain hurt. However, we thing the GS framework makes it relatively easy, perhaps that would be better said as "as easy as it can be", to implement any combination of thread migration and avatars desired by a given scheduling semantics.

In that sense Noah and I feel that GS is a "complete" framework in that it is possible to configure any semantics desired as easily as it can be done by any framework. Obviously that does not resolve the question of what semantics it is best to desire for a given system which remains quite complicated and highly dependent on the specific application semantics.

Noah and I thought the relatively low cost of creating the avatar was quite attractive, and so we decided on a GS configuration using it to experiment with in specifying the scheduling semantics. The first two approaches we want to experiment with are (*) to view the composite scheduling hierarchy for all CPUs as a whole, and let the avatar of A take its chances on CPU1, and (**) to view resolution of blocking as most important system wide, so we have the avatar viewed as "best" long enough for its proxy to release the resource.

The bottom line, in out view, is that no single semantics will be viewed as either "best" or even acceptable for all applications as is the case with schedulers, so we wanted to emphasize configurability.

We have performed basic tests showing the avatars can be chosen and resolve the blocking relationship. More complex tests await the completion of our port of GS and the other KUSP subsystems to 2.6.29.

Doug