Re: [RFC -tip] x86,apic - set cpu_has_apic for discrete apic

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Sun Jul 12 2009 - 01:52:24 EST

[Maciej W. Rozycki - Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 01:41:54AM +0100]
| On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
|
| > In case of discrete apic (due to hardware or firmware reason)
| > cpuid may not retrieve cpu_has_apic bit. So for SMP
| > compiled kernels instead of long check we may set "fake"
| > cpu_has_apic bit and check only the bit in further code
| > flow.
| >
| > Signed-off-by: Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxxx>
| > ---
| >
| > Please review carefully.
|
| Sure: how did you test it or plan to do so?
|
| Maciej

Well, I've been using code reading. No real hardware test.
I just don't have such a hardware.

I've a two pretty old laptops will check today if they
are discrete apic based systems.

Also I was thinking about spurious software tests --
ie to set discrete apic manually but actually I don't
think it will help.

And also I hoped that Ingo has a hw farm even with
discrete apic maybe... :)

-- Cyrill