Re: [rfc][patch 3/4] fs: new truncate sequence

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 05:01:05 EST

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:54:15AM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> On 07/13/2009 09:59 AM, Nick Piggin wrote:

> >> Yeah, that seems be a lot cleaner. But let's wait until we got
> >> rid of ->truncate for all filesystems to have the bigger picture.
> >
> > Agreed, if it is a common sequence / requirement for filesystems
> > then of course I will not object to a helper to make things clearer
> > or share code.
> >
> > I would like to see inode_setattr renamed into simple_setattr, and
> > then also .setattr made mandatory, so I don't like to cut code out
> > of inode_setattr which makes it unable to be the simple_setattr
> > after the old truncate code is removed.
> >

> I thought you meant inode_setattr will go away. There will
> only be simple_setattr() and inode_setattr_nosize()
>
> For the time been simple_setattr() will also take care
> of old ->truncate FSs. And in the absence of .setattr
> simple_setattr() is called. Have I miss-understood?
>
> again please tell me when all this is in effect I want
> to do the conversion in exofs.

AFAIKS inode_setattr basically is simple_setattr, so I think at some
point it should just get renamed to simple_setattr. Adding
simple_setattr_nosize or similar helper would be fine too. I don't
care much about the exact details... But anyway these things are not
so important to this truncate patchset at the moment.

> [BTW these changes are a life saver for me in regard to
> the kind of things I need to do for pNFS-exports]

You mean the truncate patches? Well that's nice to know. I
guess it has always been possible just to redefine your own
setattr, but now it should be a bit nicer with the truncate
helpers...

Thanks,
Nick