Re: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel

From: Noah Watkins
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 14:20:58 EST

I think you can extend PIP to include things like bandwidth inheritance
too. Instead of simply propagating the priority through the waitqueue
hierarchy, you can pass the actual task around, and having this task you
can indeed consume its bandwidth etc..

I think I understand what you are suggesting by "pass the actual task around". If not, this message might seem out of place.

Consider this locking chain/graph:

A-->L1-->B-->L2-->C
D-->L3-->E-->L2

The way I understand what you are suggesting is that tasks A,B,D,E (or some representation of them) can be passed around such that when C executes it consumes some resource associated with the the tasks it is blocking (A,B,D,E). Obviously which tasks and what quantities are dependent on scheduling semantics and configuration.

The biggest implementation hurdle we have encountered is that as tasks are passed forward along a locking chain knowledge about the structure of the locking chain is lost. For example, as C releases L2, C must be able to distinguish between A and D as having been passed to C's location through B or E, respectively.

Keeping a representation of the locking chain as a full graph is the solution we have used. Another solution is to allow A and D to re- block and walk the locking chain again, but obviously some thundering- hurd issues arise.

noah