Re: removing addr_needs_map in struct dma_mapping_ops

From: Becky Bruce
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 17:51:12 EST

On Jul 9, 2009, at 8:47 PM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

I'm trying to convert POWERPC to use asm-generic/dma-mapping-common.h.

POWERPC needs addr_needs_map() in struct dma_mapping_ops for SWIOTLB
support but I want to avoid add addr_needs_map() in struct
dma_map_ops. IIRC, you guys think it as a temporary solution and

That is correct - I was planning to update when the iotlb folks had decided on a final scheme for this. We don't like the additional indirection we're getting with the current implementation.

talked about defining something like struct dma_data. Then we could

struct dev_archdata {

struct dma_data *ddata;
};

or

struct dev_archdata {

struct dma_data ddata;
};

struct dma_data needs dma_direct_offset, iommu_table, dma_base, and
dma_window_size, anything else?

IIRC, what we had talked about was simpler - we talked about changing the current dev_archdata from this:

struct dev_archdata {
struct device_node *of_node;
struct dma_mapping_ops *dma_ops;
void *dma_data;
};

to this:

struct dev_archdata {
struct device_node *of_node;
struct dma_mapping_ops *dma_ops;
unsigned long long dma_data;
#ifdef CONFIG_SWIOTLB
dma_addr_t max_direct_dma_addr;
#endif
};

Where max_direct_dma_addr is the address beyond which a specific device must use swiotlb, and dma_data is the offset like it is now (but wider on 32-bit systems than void *). I believe Ben had mentioned wanting to make the max_direct_dma_addr part conditional so we don't bloat archdata on platforms that don't ever bounce.

The change to the type of dma_data is actually in preparation for an optimization I have planned for 64-bit PCI devices (and which probably requires more discussion), so that doesn't need to happen now - just leave it as a void *, and I can post a followup patch.

Let me know if I can help or do any testing - I've been meaning to look into switching to dma_map_ops for a while now but it hasn't managed to pop off my todo stack.

Cheers,
Becky