Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.6.4.rc1

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 00:01:15 EST

Junio C Hamano wrote:
GIT v1.6.4 Release Notes (draft)
================================

With the next major release, "git push" into a branch that is
currently checked out will be refused by default. You can choose
what should happen upon such a push by setting the configuration
variable receive.denyCurrentBranch in the receiving repository.

To ease the transition plan, the receiving repository of such a
push running this release will issue a big warning when the
configuration variable is missing. Please refer to:

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitFaq#non-bare
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/107758/focus=108007

for more details on the reason why this change is needed and the
transition plan.

For a similar reason, "git push $there :$killed" to delete the branch
$killed in a remote repository $there, if $killed branch is the current
branch pointed at by its HEAD, gets a large warning. You can choose what
should happen upon such a push by setting the configuration variable
receive.denyDeleteCurrent in the receiving repository.

When the user does not tell "git push" what to push, it has always
pushed matching refs. For some people it is unexpected, and a new
configuration variable push.default has been introduced to allow
changing a different default behaviour. To advertise the new feature,
a big warning is issued if this is not configured and a git push without
arguments is attempted.

Side note: we might want to tone this down, as it does not seem
likely for us to change the default behaviour when this option is
not set.

Is there some sort of guide to the new best practices for handling trees such as git.kernel.org, where one pushes into "foo.git" directly, and there is no checked-out source code at all?

I've been getting the multi-line "warning: Updating the currently checked out branch may cause confusion" message, but ignoring it for now, because it does not appear to apply to my situation (no checked-out work tree).

Advice appreciated...

Jeff