Re: Why do we probe option roms at 2K boundaries?

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 03:20:47 EST

Hi all,

On 07/16/2009 02:08 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 16:13 -0700, Jon Smirl wrote:
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Alan Cox<alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
interrogating a data structure stored in option-rom memory. My initial
implementation involved blindly scanning from c0000 to f0000 in 512 byte
increments. Neil and others pointed out that this may not be a safe
It isn't safe. If you hit certain ISA devices your system will drop dead.
OTOH I doubt anyone has an intel matrix raid controller and a WD80x3 on
the same box ;)
Random link from google, slide 21
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/f/98f3fe47-dfc3-4e74-92a3-088782200fe7/TWAR05005_WinHEC05.ppt

PCI 3.0+ allows 512b alignment, but you must first make sure you are
on a PCI 3.0+ system.

Thanks, I believe this may be the missing difference between my test
system and Hans'.

Probably, I'll happily test any patches for this you come up with, note that I'm
leaving for a week of vacation tomorrow, so it might take some time for me to
get back to you.

Regards,

Hans