Re: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel

From: James H. Anderson
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 09:00:48 EST

Raistlin wrote:
Also, I'm not sure I can find in the FMLP paper information about the
possibility of a task to suspend itself (e.g., I/O completion) while
holding a short lock... I assume this is not recommended, but may be
wrong, and, in that case, I hope Prof. Anderson and Bjorn will excuse
and correct me. :-)

This is a really excellent point and something I probably should have mentioned. We developed the FMLP strictly for real-time (only) workloads. We were specifically looking at protecting memory-resident resources (not I/O). The FMLP would have to be significantly extended to work in settings where these assumptions don't hold.

Thanks for pointing this out.

-Jim