xterms freezing on 2.6.31-rc2 (was Re: [regression] Re:2.6.31-rc2: X stop accepting keystrokes?)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 09:07:12 EST

On Fri 2009-07-17 15:01:47, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> [ adding some CCs ]
>
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > On Wed 2009-07-15 15:16:11, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > It happened four times now. It seems to happen when I type heavily. I
> > > was once able to reproduce it by hitting keys heavily/randomly.
> >
> > Two more crashes today :-(. -rc2 is pretty much unusable.
> >
> > ...and they seem to be slightly different crashes. Once keyboard was
> > dead but mouse worked, second time keyboard still worked but xterms
> > kept locking up. I managed to type dmesg into one of them, but that
> > xterm hung in middle of dump :-(.
>
> I guess that both keyboard and mouse are PS/2 connected, right?

Thinkpad internal keyboard/mouse, yes.

> Any possibility to capture serial console output?

I managed to get dmesg via magic sysrq at some point. I got some
softlockup messages and processes seemed to hang.

I'm no longer sure how much keyboard related it is. It seems to
happen while typing, but ... the system still reacts to keyboard but
xterms hang.
Pavel