Re: Generic events for wake up from S1-S4

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 16:11:34 EST

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Pavel Machek<pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed 2009-07-15 11:00:07, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> Going back to this topic -- any suggestions? Will a generic netlink
>> family be OK? Or perhaps easier a udev event for some suitable
>> existing parent ?
>
> Is "who woke me" information even relevant? Yes, it may be interesting
> enough for printk, but... What will userspace do with that information?

Splashy event notification thingies?

I was just trying to avoid verbose debug info for WoW upon wakeup and
figured it be nice to report back through a generic interface.

> Imagine WoW packet comes, 5msec later WoL packet comes, 5msec later
> user opens the lid. You report WoW as wakeup reason, but it is
> inherently "racy".

Hm yeah, but I doubt someone will do that, generally we'd get one wake
up event. Can't we just report the first one and ignore the rest?

> What about simply reporting "wake event happened on this device" and
> doing that for all the devices?

That's fine too. Just think it would be nice to be more specific if possible.

Luis