Re: Regression 2.6.31: xc5000 no longer works with Myth-0.21-fixes branch

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 11:12:13 EST

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Mark Lord<lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:
Devin,

Thanks for your good efforts and updates on the xc5000 driver.
But the version in 2.6.31 no longer works with mythfrontend
from the 0.21-fixes branch of MythTV.
..
Also, Could you please install the latest v4l-dvb code using the
directions at http://linuxtv.org/repo and see if the problem still
occurs. This will tell us if the problem is some patch that didn't
make it upstream, and will make it easier for me to give you patches
that provide more debug info.
..

Okay, I pulled in v4l-dvb-bdd711bbc07e, built/installed/rebooted,
and ended up with exactly the same behaviour.

So the good news is, nothing appears to have been left out in 2.6.31. :)

But still no really good clues to go on, other than this observation
from before:

The mythbackend (recording) program tunes/records fine with it,
but any attempt to watch "Live TV" via mythfrontend just locks
up the UI for 30 seconds or so, and then it reverts to the menus.

I find that rather odd, as mythfrontend normally has very little
interaction with the tuner devices. But it does try to read the
signal strength and quality from the tuner, so perhaps this is a
clue as to what has gone wrong?
..

Really, the mythfrontend DOES NOT DEAL WITH TUNERS directly,
leaving that to the mythbackend. EXCEPT for when it wants to show
a signal strength/quality indication onscreen, which is done
when tuning to a new channel.

So it's got to be something on that pathway, I suspect,
but despite being a kernel developer, I'm not terribly
knowledgeable about V4L, DVB, or the MythTV internals.

Cheers