Re: Regression 2.6.31: ioctl(EVIOCGNAME) no longer returns devicename

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 15:40:50 EST

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:20:50 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Mark Lord wrote:
> > (resending.. somebody trimmed linux-kernel from the CC: earlier)

FWIW I don't think it was there in the first place.

> > Jean Delvare wrote:

> >> OK, thanks for the investigation.

> ..
>
> Mmm.. appears to be a systemwide thing, not just for the i2c stuff.
> *All* of the input devices now no longer show their real names
> when queried with ioctl(EVIOCGNAME). This is a regression from 2.6.30.
> Note that the real names *are* still stored somewhere, because they
> do still show up correctly under /sys/

I was just coming to the same conclusion. So this doesn't have anything
to do with the ir-kbd-i2c conversion after all... This is something for
the input subsystem maintainers.

I suspect this commit is related to the regression:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d5cb60ef3042ac479dab82e5a945966a0d54d53

--
Jean Delvare